Tuesday 5 November 2013

A Little Experiment with Script Writing...

BREAKDOWN
ACT ONE
SCENE ONE

A woman, ANGELA, sits in an office on the visiting side of a desk. The chair behind the desk is empty. She is well-dressed but tired looking. She looks around uneasily.

ANGELA
Typical, new job, then this. She’s going to flip. She’s going to flip her bloody lid... Well... I mean, they must expect these things sometimes... life outside work... people have lives. Families. Christ.

She turns around to look at the door then faces the desk again.

What kind of boss... no water provided in the office. Stupid cow. In my condition. (She laughs nervously.) In my condition. All that time at home... Harry, shit. Reel him back in, that’s what Mum would say. Reel him back in, Angela.

A woman, MARTHA, walks into the office. She is dressed in a smart suit, hair tied back and perfect make up. Although she is older than Angela, she looks better. Angela begins to stand but Martha signals her to stop. She takes the seat behind the desk.

MARTHA
Now, Angela-

ANGELA
Ms. Grey, I really-

MARTHA
As a new recruit, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. But very rarely do employees request a private meeting with me on a Monday morning.

ANGELA
Yes, Ms. Grey, I’m very sorry-

MARTHA
It is the busiest time of the week, you know.

ANGELA
Yes, I’m so sorry.

MARTHA
So what is it you wanted to tell me?
Angela looks at Martha and then the audience. The stage goes 
black.

SCENE TWO

A middle aged man, HARRY, sits in an old-looking armchair in a murky living room. He is fidgeting, uncomfortable. Occasionally he looks up as if hearing someone moving around above him; his wife, asleep.

HARRY
Getting desperate now ... stopping and starting. It’s fine... then spluttering and wheezing. Useless old thing. That’s the problem... too long doing the same thing. (He pauses.) It gave out on us the other day. Don’t blame it, like. Angela going mental as usual... my fault the guy wanted four hundred quid. Unbelievable. She just ... yelling and nagging... hair tied back... baggy old jumper, and I just- I hate this fucking car.

He readjusts himself, running his hands through his hair and crossing and re-crossing his legs. He looks at his watch.

Better get ready.

SCENE THREE

A bar, night time. HARRY sits at the bar, several empty pint glasses next to him. A young, attractive woman, CHRISTINA, stands beside him. Her hand is on his shoulder. She is wearing a short skirt and a tight t-shirt.

CHRISTINA
You’re knocking them back, Harry. In a rush?

HARRY
Tired. I shouldn’t be- I’m just tired.

CHRISTINA
Well, then relax. Here, I’ll get the next round.

She beckons to the bartender.

Two pints please.

HARRY
Cheers but, I really, you know, it’s getting late.

CHRISTINA
Usually you’re full of energy.

HARRY
It’s just, maybe this- I mean, tonight’s just-

CHRISTINA
She caresses his hair.

What’s the matter, Harry?

HARRY
He looks around the bar.

Christ, it’s miserable in here, innit. Dark and, and-

CHRISTINA
What, romantic? Private? I think it’s great.

HARRY
I can feel my eyes going. I’ll have to get home. Angela, she-

CHRISTINA
She removes her arm from him, visibly annoyed.

For God’s sake, Harry, what’s-

HARRY
Oh, I can’t stop yawning. This’ll have to be my last one.

He takes the pint gratefully from the bartender and chugs half of it in one gulp. Christina turns away from him and begins putting on her coat.

HARRY
Sheepish.

Same time next week though, yeah?


Christina picks up her bag and storms out. Harry finishes his drink more slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment