Monday 3 March 2014

May I Help You?

She turns at my voice, drinks me in,
she’s tiny eyes and double chin.
Utter disgust. Nose wrinkles.

‘Where do I begin?’ She booms:
her ford fiesta wouldn’t start this morning and
her daughter’s off with flu and
her husband’s always tired and

like a shepherd to the dullest sheep in existence,
I manoeuvre the conversation back to the matter at hand,
namely:
What the fuck do you want?

Bubble bath. I show the range.

No. No no no these will not do.
Oh dear God the one thing that was keeping her going.
Can the wife of successful golf club owner,
avid Woman at Home reader and
proud holder of the ‘Best Sewer in Sunderland’ award 1993
find no help in obtaining that one thing?

I have failed. I have failed in my birthright, my
God-given duty, of finding Mrs. Parker that
Holy Grail of luxury hygiene.

I am on my knees, but nothing will do.
‘I’m so sorry, goodbye,
it was nice to meet you.’



No comments:

Post a Comment