Monday 14 October 2013

Monologue

It's a lot brighter in here than it is outside. Too bright, if you ask me. The rooms on either side all look the same.
   I take out my headphones and wipe my face. I'm wearing a leather jacket of all things. I mean, I know it's Newcastle, but really? My phone's getting damp in my hand.
   Why would she call me? What could she possibly want? She didn't even leave a message, so clearly she wants to talk to me in person. Oh god. Oh god, oh god. I undercharged that woman yesterday. But surely she would have left a message? It must be something worse.
   God, that time years ago when I was playing on my GameBoy and I heard Mam yelling for me from downstairs. But it wasn't just a yell, it was a proper angry yell. She used my full name and everything. I dropped the GameBoy and ran under the bed. I didn't even save the game.
   My phone's ringing, booming round the whole corridor. It's her. Christ, twice in one day? It must be urgent. I should really just answer., it's probably nothing. But what if it's not?
   Right, I'll go to this lecture and by the time it's finished, I'll probably have calmed down enough to ring her back. She might even leave a message this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment